Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's Puzzling

My Silly Goose really loves doing puzzles.  We spend lots of time sprawled out on the floor putting the pieces together again, again, and again.  Often times he wants and/or needs help with the bigger puzzles, so I was really excited when I came across a fun puzzling idea on Pinterest.  In Mrs. Bushong's 2nd grade class, she had her students practice matching homophones by matching a word printed on a puzzle piece to the correct homophone on the puzzle board.  Taking her idea and Benjamin's love for puzzles, I upgraded a few puzzles of my own. 
I used a train puzzle to make an Alphabet match.  On the back of the puzzle piece, I printed a letter in its capital form.  Then on the matching spot on the puzzle board, I printed the lower case form of the same letter.  Since he can recognize his letters in both forms, he can now complete the puzzle completely on his own without feeling frustrated while practicing matching the upper case letter to its lower case letter.  This really helps when I am cooking because I can put the puzzle on the kitchen floor for him to work on, and that allows him to be in the same room with me (which is really important to HIM right now). 


On another puzzle, I used colors, numbers, and shapes.  My hopes with this puzzle is to allow little Silly Goose to work on sight words or word recognition.




We both have enjoyed this; I enjoyed making them, and he enjoys putting them together with and without my help.


Do you have any other suggestions for what I could put on the puzzles that would be good practice for a three year old?  There are two more puzzles from this pack that are waiting to be used.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a picture of you and "mom", etc? Could include him and various family members to help with name/word recognition?
    Maybe animals and pictures?

    ReplyDelete