Sunday, July 8, 2012

4th of July Oreo Pops

For the past four years, we have celebrated the Fourth of July with the Mirandas, and this year was no exception.  We gather at our friends' home for swimming, grilling, and fireworks.  Kelley, my husband, always makes his Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos, Arnold grills up some burgers and hot dogs, and I make a red, white, and blue dessert.  This year though, Kelley really wanted me to make the Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Dessert instead of a red, white, and blue dessert, so that's what I did. 

Benjamin had a blast helping me crush up the Oreos and the peanut butter cups, and when we finished, we realized that we had some left over Oreos and a light bulb came on- Oreo Pops.  I knew I had pinned some cookie pops and  remembered seeing some ideas for the 4th, so I figured we could whip up some 4th of July inspired Oreo Pops.



Here's how we made our easy, DIY Oreo Pops:
1) I separated the Oreos and laid them out on a cookie sheet.
2) I melted some White Candy Melts the lazy way- in the microwave.
3) I put a blob of melted candy on one side of an Oreo, put a stick in it, and then covered it with the other half of the cookie.
4) I then let the candy inside the pop harden for about 20 minutes.
5) Next, I dipped the pop in another batch of melted white candy.
6) Then the fun happened; Benjamin sprinkled the Oreo Pops with red and blue sprinkles so that we had festive red, white, and blue desserts to take to the party.

After that, we let them set and then stuck the 4th of July Oreo Pops in little red pails that I picked up from the Dollar Spot at Target.  For a spur of the moment dessert that my 3 year old helped with, they didn't turn out too bad.



Our annual 4th of July celebration was a success as were the desserts that I brought; I have to forward the recipes to a few friends now.





No comments:

Post a Comment